Wednesday, August 1, 2012


PERHAPS I AM DREAMING

The young soldier turned very slowly 
in a circle; as shadows dim; in dim shadows, 
The young soldier hesitantly 
walks on… 
Toward the sea. 

"I see… no, perhaps I was mistaken. 
My eyes were watching that rainbow, 
just beyond– that rainbow dimming beyond. 
My stretch of sand and sea…where the wild cypress 
stands alone, a sentinel– just as I…

Just beyond, unseen, hardly there, 
stand a man and a woman…
or is it a boy and a girl? 
She is dark...he is fair. 
Their hand are clasped. 

That much I can see, 
or do I really?
Night has come
so suddenly.
Perhaps I am dreaming."

Shadows in summer night follow vaguely in his path. 
They are shadows of a boy and a girl… 
or a man and a woman… or are they really? 
Perhaps it is only a reflection of the moon 
upon the water. Perhaps I am just dreaming. 

A young soldier is walking. 
He turns slowly, then walks on
toward a cypress tree
standing lonely,
just beyond. 

The sea tremors faintly in salty whispers,
vaguely, in his path. 
In dimmed shadows… 
two hands clasp...as they disappear into their distance… 
All is silent...

No comments: