Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The hits just keep on coming!

Hi folks: Wow!  Lots of stuff happening and I've just got to say  that the Billy Collins reading last week was totally Awesome! He has now joined my list as one of the three poets who's book I would absolutely be willing to Pay money to buy . The other two are Brendan Constantine and Kitty Jospe. ( you notice my own name is not on that list! That's because even with the titles I've self published I expect to GET PAID by selling them not pay to buy them!)  You can see samples of my work in previous post on this blog and I might even include one this week. We'll see . More on this later!   Here's what's up:

1.  Congrats to Wendy Sacks ! Here's the info:I am pleased to confirm your participation in the upcoming Arts; Cultural Council Gallery exhibition entitled, Four Artists:  Cook, Keyser, Notides-Benzing, and Sacksopening Tuesday, November 9th, and closing Wednesday, November 30th.  The closing reception will take place on Wednesday, November 30th from 5 PM to 7 PM.  This may seem a little early but she's also the featured artist the Rochester Arts Council's  Metropolitan  Magazine this month! Here's the contact info so you can get a copy!Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester, Inc. 277 North Goodman Street Rochester, NY 14607
http://www.artsrochester.org Phone: (585) 473-4000 Fax: (585) 473-4051 Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 AM - 5 PM
Gallery Hours: Monday-Friday, 10 AM - 4 PM


   :2. I just got this and had to post it!  Hi Larry.    I went to your blog today and discovered your "Instant Poetry."  I'm a member of a writing group, Payson Raconteurs (in Payson, Arizona), and it occurred to me that writing such poetry as a group project might be fun, and I wish to order a copy of your book.  If that can be handled through you, I would be pleased to send a check to you.   
 Sincerely,
            Carole Emma Mathewson. ! 
Thanks Carole!   

 
3. Dear authors/readers: Because of the success of the Authors/Readers group (we are now at over 3,500 members!), I partnered with a talented web designer named Ashley Farrand to create a book social network that uses genres as its central theme. The website is called GenreBuds. It has an "open book" layout, as well as many unique features to aid authors and readers in finding books and networking (eg. author pencil icons, genre bubbles/tags, virtual ribbons and gifts). 

Because it's a new site, we would love to have you join it (it's free), spread the word by telling your friends on Facebook/Twitter, and help us build our online library by uploading books. Reading is a  great thing that should be encouraged! 

Here is the link to GenreBuds: http://www.genrebuds.com 

Any help and feedback is greatly appreciated. (Feel free to email me here or on GenreBuds.) 

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you on the site! 

Sincerely, 

Vincent Lowry (Moderator) 
PS - If you are a blogger (or have websites/networks with several followers), please let me know. We are giving 100 extra points to members on GenreBuds who help us blog/broadcast about the new site.

4. http://marysbridge.org/events/marys-bridge-book-faire check it out! 

5. Breath and shadow v
olume 8, Number 4 Fall 2011

In our Fall issue we feature poems by Mike Wood, Cindy Lamb, Charles
Thielman, and William Harris. There is a short story by Mark Cornell,
a tale of nursery rhyme noir by David C. Kopaska-Merkel, and Michael
Callahan reveals the government’s erroneous thinking in his essay on
sub-minimum wages for American workers who are disabled.

Our editors hope you enjoy this issue of Breath and Shadow. Please
recommend us to your friends. In this difficult economy, we are
struggling along with most non-profits. Your tax deductible donations
are essential to the work we do. Visit our web site for details. We
are also seeking submissions in all categories—please visit our
website for guidelines.

    To read this issue, please visit:
www.abilitymaine.org/breath


I used to sit on the editorial board for this magazine myself!   Please check them out! 

6. On October 23rd (Sunday) at 1PM, Thom Ward, one of  the most talented poets in the Rochester region will be reading from his recently published book of poetry,Etcetera's Mistress.  He also has a number of previously published books of poetry including Small Boat With Oars Of Different SizeVarious Orbits, and Matter Of The Casket. Thom is no stranger to Lift Bridge and I look forward to welcoming him back.  Wine and cheese reception to follow his reading.  Link with more information below...

         http://www.liftbridgebooks.com/event/thom-ward-read-his-latest-book-poetry-lift-bridge


7.WORD PRESS GROUP:  Based on feedback I got from many of you I'm going to try out the 4th Wednesday of the month for our meetings. That means our next meeting will be on October 26th at 7pm. You can find directions, etc. here: http://bit.ly/rocwp


There were a few people at the last meeting who wanted to learn about installing WordPress, so in the interest of starting at the beginning I'm going to do a tutorial on WordPress installation at our next meeting. If anyone is interested in having me do the installation for them as part of the tutorial just let me know! This meeting will be a great one for the beginners to attend!

For the more advanced among you: it would be great to have you there to help me out as we go through the tutorial, and I expect we'll have some time afterwards to have a more free flowing discussion.

8.Thursday, October 27, at Cary Collection, Wallace Library, RIT: Photography and Poetry book launch for "Colleagues" by John Retallack and Anne Coon. ( it also just happens to be my biological birthday!  I turn 45 and I know how I'm going to celebrate!) 

9. M.A.H. (Mama's American Herstory) monologues
Sunday, October 30 · 5:00pm - 8:00pm 


Flying Squirrel Community Space
285 Clarissa Street
Rochester, NY
Starring the women of SSS, who brought you the HER show ; WOMONSTOCK: Lori Nolasco, Katrina Scott, Chan McKenzie, Lu Highsmith Jenna Rossi, Grace Flores, Jess Cohen, Diane Conway and introducing: Loekie Windig, Marsha Jones  LaTasha and many others.Cost: No one will be turned away d/t lack of funds because this event is FREE!!Signed Interpreted (may or may not be provided)Wheelchair AccessibleIf you'd like more information about Mama’s American Herstory please contact Chan McKenzie for more information about C.S.W.A. please contact Diane Conway, both at c_s_w_a@yahoo.groups.com.You may also call and leave a message on the 24hr voice mail at 585-442-5432 and someone will return your call. Thank you for your support…
Culture starts with ART! 


Whew! Lots of stuff again this week ! as much as I'd like to, I'm not sure if I could even possibly squezze in a poem here!  Sorry! maybe next week!  however, If you'd like to check out my book here are Links! 



http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000187234



See you next week! 

No comments: