Hi folks: Well, we did it! We survived "Word Season!" ( March 21st-April 30th in case you forgot. YAY!!!!!!!!!!) Can you believe that 2011 is already almost half over? Lots of stuff happening! Here are the highlights:
1. Creative Wellness Center's May-Art Show Opening: Location 320 N. Goodman Street Rochester, NY 14607 : These folks have over 150 galleries in the area and provide showcase opportunities for both new and established artist as well as workshops and convention opportunities. Come check them out! Friday, May 6th 2011, 6-9:30 P.M.
2. Thursday, May 5 ,2011 • 8:00pm - 11:00pm Location: Fanatic Salon 3815 Sawtelle Blvd.
Culver City, California. Created by Peter Coca Just below Venice Blvd. Tix $10 Produced by Jack Fry Tales from the Little Apple-Peter Coca, Last of the Knott's - Don Knott: Peter is one of the best character actors currently working in LA. I'm proud to call him both my mentor and friend. If you've never experienced Peter Coca before come and check him out! If you have, THEN YOU'LL KNOW WHAT YOU 'LL BE MISSING IF YOU DON'T SHOW UP! If I still lived in LA I'd be there in a heartbeat! You should go too. and as a special bonus you get Don Knott one of the original "Carma Bums" He's more of a satirist poet ( Think Woody Allen, Andy Kaufman Etc.) whereas Peter is more of a storyteller, monologist ( Walt Whitman, Sir Alec Guinness, Patrick Stewart, ( Capt. Jean Luc Picard for those uneducated among you.) Tennessee Williams Etc.)
3. Just found out about a new call in poetry radio show based out of Chicago, Il called P.O.E.T ( People of Extreme Talent) www.talkshoe.com hosted by Tony Briscoe . Sundays for "Soul and Devotional Poetry" Mondays Anything Goes. Archived shows are available as samples on the web site. Check them out. Shows run 8-9 P. M. EDT.
4. After a 17 year relationship and doing literally hundreds of dollars of business together and dozens of submissions I finally got published by the Poetry Super Highway as one of the 23 poets selected for their special Yom Hashoa ( Holocaust Remembrance Day) Edition as Poets of the Week. In fairness , I know that the site is getting hits from all over the world and after 17 years in existence had become the "gold standard" of poetry related web sites. The web master is a guy by the name of Rick Lupert and like I said I've known and worked with him for years and I know he gets an average of 500 submissions a week and normally only choses two poets as the weekly features. He does look at all submissions personally and does this in his off hours when he's not spending time with his family , working as a Rabbi teaching the youth members of one of the biggest Temples in LA , hosting his reading , or working on his own poetry. It may take him a while to get to your submission but I can promise that eventually he WILL at least look at it! Like most things persistence pays off! Thanks again Rick! . You can check out the issue as the "current installment" through May 8th 2011 and in the Archives forever after that. Here’s the web site: http://www.poetrysuperhighway.com/
5. Because of my "trade name" ( I'm best known as "Laughing" Larry Berger in case you’re wondering , feel free to Goggle me!) I found out that not only was May 1, 2011 Holocaust Remberance Day, but it was also the first ever World Laughing Day as sponsored by Sweden's Laughing Yoga Society. Apparently the group does really exist! Here's the web site :http://www.laughteryoga.org/
Whew! My hands are starting to cramp so I guess I'd better stop! LOL
Sorry no poem this week. Here's the links for my books:
See you next week !