Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Born on the fourth of July Part Two

Hi folks! I had a lot of fun at the family reunion!!! 350+ plus relatives got together for the second "Shryb tribe" reunion and it was much More fun than I thought it would be ! I even got invited to read in Canada by a few relatives from that area and sold three books!  I hope you all had fun over the 4th weekend too!  Here's whats going on in this weeks post:

1. Tuesday, July 12 · 8:00pm - 11:00pm  Location Tango Cafe 389 Gregory Street Rochester, NY
for Rochester Poets  Join us this Tuesday, July 12, 8 pm, for featured poet BERNIE QUETCHENBACH at the Tango Cafe. Bernie's performance will be followed by our popular open mic. Don't forget that we welcome singers, musicians,  comics...you name it...at our open mic.Bernie was born in Rochester and graduated from the creative writing program at SUNY Brockport before earning a PhD in American literature from Purdue University.

His latest volume is "The Hermit's Place," a collection of haiku-ish poems published by Wild Leaf Press in 2010. Earlier collections include "Everything as It Happens" (2007, FootHills) and two chapbooks, "The Hermit's Act" (2004, Finishing Line) and "In the Distance" (1979, Mammoth).  "Back from the Far Field," a book about post-World War II American poetry, was published by University of Virginia Press in 2000. His poems, essays, reviews, and articles have appeared in a variety of magazines and anthologies. He edited a journal, "The River Review"/La revue riviere (1996-9), and is poetry editor of the new e-magazine "Pellucid Duck."He lives in Billings, Montana, and teaches literature and writing at Montana State University Billings.
See you on July 12th,

2. The address of our July reading is: 14839 West Sunset, Pacific Palisades. CA This is just East of Drummond and West of Chattauqua. Plentiful parking on side streets.Date: Monday (Moonday) July 11, 2011 Time: 7:30 pm  Place: 14839 West Sunset, Pacific Palisades.  Open Reading? Yes, come early to sign up. We start on time!Questions? Email: pero@earthlink.net or call the bookstore at: 310-454-4063

3.Speaking of family reunions remember my friend G.Murray Thomas is comming to Rochester ,NY to spend time with his family and promote his new book  titled "My kidney just arrived!"  you still have time to order copies and get them signed at his reading on the 24th of July. It sells for$15.00 and can be purchased at:
http://www.tebotbach.org/publication.html#kidney  he'll be appearing at the Skalny Welcome Center's Ross art gallery at St.:John Fisher College • 3690 East Avenue, Rochester, New York 14618  starting at 2:00pm open mic follows. Further details sns1@msn.com



4. Not to compete  with Murray or anything but I've got a book out too.  for those of you who may be new, it's called Instant Poetry ( Just Add Words!) and it's available in paperr back, Kindle and NOOK formats.
here's the buy link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/instant-poetry-just-add-words?r=1#sf

5. I'm still waiting to find out if I should offer to review poetry for sale or not. see "part one" for details and I know this week was the Fourth of July but  come on, I REALLY do VALUE YOUR OPINIONS! please let me know your thoughts.

no poem this week . see you next time.

1 comment:

Patricia A. Bowser said...

It's good to see that, at least for Murray, you can go home again. I wish he could make it down here but unfortunately, it would have to be just to visit me. Not that he wouldn't be more than welcome, but I don't even know of a poetry reading in the area.

Larry, I'll send you a poem I did two years ago about my first fourth fireworks without Max. Use it if you would Like. I went to see the Big Fireworks show this year at the Memorial Park, but decided to get a gelati at Rita's across the street instead and watch the 10 minutes from there. Gosh, I love this little country town. Remember folks, Corn Festival is the last Saturday in August!