1. Genesee Reading Series Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:30 PM, Writers and Books $3 members, $6 public Curated by Wanda Schubmehl The final Genesee Reading Series of the Writers and Books 30th Anniversary Year features our very own Joe Flaherty and his daughter, Caedra Scott-Flaherty. You do not want to miss this opportunity to hear Joe and Caedra read from their own work. Come share with us this very fitting end to the wonderful 2011 Genesee Reading Series season!
3. BEYOND BAROQUE phone#310.822.3006 email@example.com
681 Venice Blvd. West of Lincoln December 16, Friday 7:30 PM ANAIS NIN'S STUDENTS, A CELEBRATION ANAIS NIN'S students read their work and discuss her impact on their lives Featuring NANCY SHIFFRIN, LEAH SCHWEITZER, and NAN HUNT. "Eroticism is one of the basic means of self-knowledge, as indispensable as poetry…”Anais Nin, In Favor of the Sensitive Man “Nancy Shiffrin's poems are gut-land responses to a personal life of risks, frustrations, and celebrations. Her writing is lean, sensitive, erotic. She celebrates the female body with a rare vigor.” Robert Peters
4. The course is called "A PLANT-BASED DIET – Eating for Happiness and Health." In the course, the principles of happily thriving on a low-fat, whole-foods plant-based diet will be thoroughly explored.The course will be given on successive Monday evenings from 7 PM to 9 PM beginning on January 23, 2012 and ending on February 27, 2012. The Monday prior to the first session (January 16, 2012), there will be a showing of the documentary "Forks Over Knives." I will be available to answer questions afterwards.The cost for the entire 6 week course (including all materials) is $60 for JCC members and $75 for non-members. Any profit will be donated to the Rochester Area Vegetarian Society.
The cost of the showing of Forks Over Knives is $8 for JCC members and $10 for non-members.
To register for the course and/or movie, please call (585) 461-2000 or visit the JCC website (jccrochester.org), click on "Registration," and search for "Adult One-Time Programs." Please share this information with anyone who might be interested. Ted D. Barnett, MD
5. Chris-Myth Busters Performance: December 15 at 7:30pm until December 18 at 7:30pm Both Deaf and hearing will enjoy this musical full of singing and dancing, signing
and lots of Christmas surprises. Bring the whole family!FREE! But reservations are
g to make your reservation now!!!Refreshments will be served after each performance.
6. Special alert: My upcoming book : The Green Lantern, a Guide for Achieving the
American Dream. Volume 2 How to Survive in a Modern Economy ( Even on a Poets income!)
Will be self published through Skysaje Enterprise and is due to hit stores in March of
2012. We have begun accepting pre- orders. The price is $15.00 ( $10.00 per signed
copy , $5.00 shipping and handling charges.) Here's the blurb for the book:
Well, it’s finally done! The original book was written some 12 years ago and a lot has stayed the same and in some cases has gotten worse: The Bail out, The crash The reduction in credit worthiness of the USA, Protection for the “middle class” And our “leaders” in congress so unable to come together and discuss these issues that the “emergency measures,” had to be put in place to occur automatically if they could not get the deficit down and they STILL could not agree on a plan!
Contrast that with the Author of this book who in the same 12 year period has successfully put out the first edition of this guide, taught at the university level for three years, conducted an international poetry contest for three years, Written another 5 poetry books (one of which is currently in its third edition and another in its second.), produced a CD and helped teach his fellow poets how to earn a living from their words too. All this AFTER spending a Year on a Psychiatric Ward in a suicidal depression which writing the first edition of this book helped get him out of. WHO WOULD YOU RATHER TAKE YOUR ADVICE FROM? Send your payment to firstname.lastname@example.org via Pay Pal or send a message to the same email address to inquire where to post the paper check to if you'd prefer that method of payment.
neat huh? no poem this week but here are the links where you can buy my poetry books , Amazon.com is having a sale on my book Instant Poetry (Just add words!) it normally retails for $8.95 . I charge $13.00 for signed copies ( you can send payment via pay pal to the same address . just indicate which book you want.) Amazon is selling them starting at $2.26 plus $3.00 shipping.) Here's the links:
It's also avalible from Barnes and Noble. com and any of thier retail stores at full price. Here's the link for that:
and through the publisher at: http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-000187234
I have the second edition of ,my follow up collection called "Chocolet Box:"
avalible as a down Loadable PDf e-book through CFK publishers. here's the link for
One last thing: I've been thinking about restarting a contest I ran from 2007-2009.
It was kind of fun but I had to shut it down because it cost more than it brought in. However, this was BEFORE Linked In and Twitter even existed and Facebook had not gotten more than 100,000 subscribers yet. I had also required submissions to be sent exclusively though the US post office and could not accept electronic payments yet.
Much of that has changed since Facebook now has 1 in every 7 people on the planet earth as members and both Linked in and Twitter are catching up fast, I now have a PAY Pal account etc. So I'm thinking of starting it up again so this is a poll.
There are a LOT of contests already out there for poetry and most require a $20.00 entry fee for up to 5 pages of poems. The biggest prize I could guarantee is $500.00 and considering I still have 35 of the 50 copies of the "Working Title" Anthology I produced from the Last time and only gave 10 to the publisher I'm not sure if there will be a chance to have submitted work published or not so here's my question:
Would you be willing to pay the $20.00 entry fee and submit to a contest I had put together? or would you go with one of the other 500,000 contest already avalible?
Please send and E-mail to me at
Lberger1027@gmail.com before midnight on 12/31/11 and let me know.
If there is sufficent interest I'll take through March 20,2012 and set it up to begin with the start of
WORD SEASON ( starting with world poetry day 3/21 and running through fathers day in June.)
and have it Live through December 2012 if I can, let me know if you want it.
Btw, copies of the anthology are $5.00 plus $3.00 shipping. send via Pay Pal to email@example.com
See you next week!